[CentOS] Need to do some careful moving...

Wed Jun 27 01:03:25 UTC 2007

When I built this new Centos 5 drive, I copied over much of my old data
using cp, and did not use the -preserve option.  Ouch.  I need those
file create dates so that documents and such sort properly, historically.

I recovered much of my stuff from a tar built back in mid-May (but I
missed that the tar backup ended abnormally, as I was tar-ing to a USB
attached drive formatted FAT32, and at 4Gb, it stopped).

Now I want to copy all of my newer files into this recovered directory.
The -u option of cp and mv will do the wrong thing, of course.  I want
to only copy files that are NOT present in the recovered directory.  I
will of course still be stuck with a lot of files with a Jun 18 date
that were created between the backup date and Jun 18, but at least I
will be better off....

Perhaps I do a mv -f from the recovered to the misdated directory?
Being careful to protect those few files that HAVE really been modified
since the backup?

Oh, I am talking about 30k files here.....