[CentOS] Strange slowdown occasionally in CentOS 5.0

Sat Jun 30 08:27:29 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhullrich at gmail.com>

For some reason, parts of my system are now slowing down to an
agonizing crawl from time to time.  At first it was my VMWare Server
1.04, which became such a pain that I rebooted.  Then, it looked like
it was a network-induced thing because the prime culprit was
SeaMonkey, particularly with multiple tabs open.  I did an ifdown and
ifup on my NIC and that seemed to help for a while.  But then it hit
OO and I'm baffled.  It seems that the second time I open any
document, particularly with OO Writer, the load and save times are
dramatically extended - we're talking five to ten minutes.

I don't even know what information I should include here that might
help, but here's what I have running at the moment:

OS/Hardware Config:
OS : CentOS 5.0 (2.6.16-8.1.6 Linux kernel) x86_64 with latest updates
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
M/B: ECS NFORCE4M-A
ram: 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 (PC6400)
hds: 160MB + 120MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133 (160 is the boot drive)
sds: 300GB Seagate SATA-150/300 (/boot and / are here)
        320Gb WD SATA-150/300
vid: geFORCE7100gs (nVidia) PCI-E x16
lpr: Minolta QMS PagePro 1100 laser printer on /dev/lp0
mod: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (Lucent)
nic: onboard (mobo-nvidia)

Any suggestions or more information needed?

Thanks.

mhr