[CentOS] Can't connect firewire HD

Mon Jun 4 15:06:46 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Dago Pacheco wrote:
> Hi..... I just bought a External HD with USB/FireWire interfaces.  I was
> trying to connect it by firewire and  nothing happened, but it's
> connected  by USB, there is no problem.  This is the "fdisk - l" output
> when i connect it by USB
>
> Disco /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> 255 cabezas, 63 sectores/pista, 19457 cilindros
> Unidades = cilindros de 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
> With firewire, there is just nothing for the external HD
> The firewire port it's integrated to my motherboard as an ATX form
> card.  The USB port where i connect the HD is in the same card

Like the 'upstream' version, the stock centos kernel does not include
firewire support.  If you are running centos 4.x, you can install the
centosplus kernel: http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/CentOSPlus.
A similar version for centos5 is still in the testing repository:
http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/i386/RPMS/ or
http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/x86_64/RPMS/

--
   Les Mikesell