[CentOS] CentOS Based Linux Firewall Document

Thu Jun 7 05:32:49 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

>> So you chose to distribute your document via PDF and it is what 15MB in
>> size? You email this to those who are interested...do you do one single
>> mailing with all the addresses or do you individually email them? How
>> many of these guys can take a 15MB attachment or a 20MB message?
>> Probably all but I wonder how many of those who did not ask, did not do
>> so because they do not have a mailbox on a system that can swallow a
>> 20MB message.
>>

> I chose to distribute my document via PDF because it was the best way to
> make it cross platform.  Nothing more, and nothing less.  EVERY platform
> supports PDF.  Not every platform supports Microsoft Office.  The
> document size is 8.8Mb to be exact.  A far cry from 15MB or 20MB.  And,
> since I didn't publish the size of the document in my e-mail they
> wouldn't know how large it was to decide not to ask.  If someone would
> like the document source, they're welcome to it.  Again, I chose PDF for
> portability.  No other reason.

Actually, having it available in html too would be a good thing imho.

> Out of the 53 documents that I have sent out since I posted this, there
> have been three bounce backs.  One because someone's mailbox was full
> and two because the document was too big.

Well, another mode of distribution might be good then...

>> Les:
>> Did you miss the 'revision history' link that removes all doubt about
>> who said what?
>>

> Did you see where I posted that the revision history tends to get
> ignored by alot of people?  I even stated what exactly happened in my
> case.  Sorry.  Allowing someone else to revise my document, even with a
> revision history, isn't worth being contacted by lawyers because of a
> revision someone else made.  If you can't understand that, I'm sorry.

Right, so you are now going to discount the fact that on the centos wiki
  modifications are only possible by admins, yourself or those whom you
allow?

>> You then complain about
>>
>> "Currently I have a domain, yes, however my bandwidth is rather limited.
>>   By cost, not by speed.  I don't feel like incurring hundreds of
>> dollars in usage fees to post this on my domain."
>>
>> but don't feel like posting on the Centos wiki but do yap about 'big'
>> names like IEEE...
>>

> I "yapped" about a big site like IEEE because I am hoping that I can get
> THEM to host the document, because I am limited to my monthly bandwidth.
> The difference between the IEEE site and wiki is that IEEE will host the
> actual document.  Wiki is a whole different animal.  That's like
> comparing apples to corn.  When I hit the cap, I have a significant
> usage penalty.  I am giving this document out for free.  I cannot afford
> to pay $100 a month in bandwidth fees when I go over my cap.

Do you or do you not know that you can put a pdf in a wiki?