[CentOS] CentOS Based Linux Firewall Document

Thu Jun 7 19:36:30 UTC 2007
pctech at mybellybutton.com <pctech at mybellybutton.com>

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 23:06:30 John bowden wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 16:27:28 Max Hetrick wrote:
> > pctech at mybellybutton.com wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, I have had nothing, thus far, but bad experiences with
> > > wikis.  Especially when you begin letting others "mark up" something
> > > that you've posted there.  At that point, because your name is on it,
> > > you "own" all of their mistakes.  I'm not saying that the CentOS wiki
> > > is like that, just wikis in general.
> > >
> > > WikiPedia is probably one of the most horrifically obvious examples of
> > > what I am talking about.  Not only do you have all of the blatant
> > > inaccuracies, which tend to get attributed back to the original article
> > > author, but you also have all of the drama that goes along with it.
> > >
> > > Things start to go sideways when you begin to let others exert their
> > > own creative control over something with your name on it.  I'm all for
> > > the free exchange of ideas, information, and knowledge.  I'm not all
> > > for getting blamed for some crap someone added to something with my
> > > name on it.  Been there, done that, don't need that drama anymore.
> > >
> > > Some wikis, again I speak in general, not of the CentOS wiki, also
> > > demand that you turn over any and all rights to whatever you post
> > > there.  While I enjoy sharing my knowledge with the world for free, I
> > > will be damned if I will give up my rights to profit from it in the
> > > future.  Even the BSD license doesn't expect this.
> > >
> > > This document, the firewall one, is the first in a series of documents
> > > that I plan on writing.  I've worked very hard to get it to the state
> > > that it is at right now.  It's what I consider a "living document" and
> > > will be changing as necessary.  The second in the series is a document
> > > on building a network monitor based on open source tools.  I've just
> > > begun writing it.  I am hoping to have it completed in a couple of
> > > months, now that I have a format I am happy with for my documents.  The
> > > third of the series will be on building a VPN concentrator based on
> > > open source tools. Part of what takes me so long to write these
> > > documents is that I don't actually enjoy writing.  I enjoy doing.  The
> > > firewall document started out of necessity to build multiple Linux
> > > based firewalls consistently and rapidly for myself and just morphed
> > > into something that I decided to share with the community.  I figured
> > > that since there wasn't much out there that was useful others might
> > > like it.
> > >
> > > While it's, most definitely, not the be-all end-all of Linux based
> > > firewall information, I think it's a pretty good document that I've
> > > worked very hard to write in a presentable manner that most people
> > > could understand and even expand upon for themselves.  I am all for
> > > receiving comments and suggestions for future revisions of the
> > > document, any document that I write for that matter.  I'm just not all
> > > for having my documents hacked apart by every Tom, Dick, and Harry on
> > > the Internet and then all of the misinformation getting lumped onto my
> [...]

Can I have a copy please? I don't care how you distribute it, e mail, snail
mail or by pigeon mail. My cat prefers the pigeon method ;-)

Sure.  Where would you like me to send it ot?  I'd be more than happy to.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)