[CentOS] CentOS Based Linux Firewall Document

Thu Jun 7 19:43:14 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

pctech at mybellybutton.com wrote:

> (a) This ia an overly broad statement.  What exactly do I not know that I am talking about, about?

The nature of the Centos Wiki for one thing, since you ranted on and on
about things that don't apply there.

> (c) How am I clueless about the idea of community?  The last time I checked communities rallied together to help one another.  I have offered my document FOR FREE to anyone that would like it.  How is that not helping the community?
> (d)  It is perfectly shareable.  I have stated on this list many times, and to people individually, that they are free to post it wherever they like.  I've even stated on this list more than once that I would be happy to send anyone that asks the source Word file that was used.  I have never told ANYONE that they could not post it anywhere.  I stated that *I* could not afford to host it.

Combine these two points. Everyone here knows that if the original
authors of all the packages in Centos had restricted others from adding
  modifications and improving them it would not be usable today.  For
example, did anyone ever try running Linux back when Linus was the only
contributor?  While no one is saying that you have to give your work
away under any particular terms, we all know we benefit if those terms
permit future improvements by others because we are all using gigs of
code and documents that developed that way.  You shouldn't be surprised
at the replies questioning your reasoning on this issue.

> Your sarcasm about my "bible of firewall docs" is petty and unbecoming.  I never once stated that it was the be-all end-all of firewall documents.  What I *DID* say, however, was that I compiled a document to help me out and thought that others in the community would like it.  Nothing more and nothing less.

But you did say more, particularly that no one could change it.  That
comes across like djb's attitude about qmail (which you'll note isn't a
part of Centos for good reasons), as though no one else is qualified to
touch (and certainly not improve) it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com