[CentOS] tar question

Thu Jun 7 21:06:46 UTC 2007
Jay Leafey <jay.leafey at mindless.com>

Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 02:11:23PM +0100, Tom Brown enlightened us:
>> Using tar i normally create an archive etc and then unpack that archive,
>> job done.
>>
>> But i am copying from one filesystem to another on the same host, they
>> are 2 seperate nfs filesystems, and i wonder is it possible to use tar
>> to do this as opposed to say rsync etc.
>>
>> tar -cvf /some/input/dir to/here etc ?
>>

> I believe it goes something like:
>
> cd /some/input/dir
> tar cvf - . | (cd /to/here; tar xvf -)
>
> Matt

Or you could think "outside the tar box" and use cpio:

cd /some/input/dir
find . | cpio -pmvd /some/destination/dir

"-p" invokes the "passthru" mode, which is great for doing
filesystem-to-filesystem copies.  cpio seems to have been installed on
just about every CentOS, Fedora, and RH system I've used in the last
several years.  See the manpage for more info!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com