[CentOS] is CentOS stable enough ?

Mon Jun 11 15:36:04 UTC 2007
Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com>

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 05:17:00PM +0530, arnuld wrote:
> hello to all,
>
> i am a newbie to CentOS. for my project work i need to have
> RHEL. so i searched Google for Open alternatives and found  CentOS to
> be most popular.
>
> i have used Fedora, the base of RHEL and CentOS. Fedora is the one of
> the most buggy *NIX distro i have ever seen. since Fedora is the base
> of RHEL which is the base of CentOS, i just want to know whether
> CentOS is stable and reliable enough to work with. i will use CentOS
> primarily for
> developing softwares and also for watching Bruce Lee's movies ;-)
>

> NOTE: please do not take my email is as offense, to be true to you,
> Fedora just sucks :-(

Fedora is more "bleeding edge".  RH takes development from Fedora and
it eventually ends up in RHEL.

CentOS is basically RHEL build from the SRPM's made available by RH.
The two should be functionally identical (stability wise as well).

FWIW, I use FC6 as my primary desktop.  It's quite stable.  I wouldn't
use it for a server however -- too fast of a moving target.

Ray