[CentOS] Re: is CentOS stable enough ?

Tue Jun 12 06:18:08 UTC 2007
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Feizhou wrote:
>
>> Tom Diehl wrote:

>>> Except that it is supported for a max of approx 13 months. That means
>>> that if
>>> you care at all about security updates, you are going to have to
>>> upgrade the
>>> machine every year. That is not something I want to do with my servers.
>>
>> Automated deployment.
>
> That still means you have to take it out of production to upgrade it.

SPOF server need not apply. Wait...you said servers. I say SO? Done
properly, the downtime for the upgrade would be minimal. Just a reboot.
Just the same amount of downtime you get when the thing crashes not if
not less considering that you first have to discover that it is down.

>>> IMO, servers should be good for at least 4-5 years, maybe longer.
>>> Depends on
>>> how long the hardware is useful and what kind of new features you
>>> want/need.
>>
>> Depends on the requirements.
>>
>> The OS is basically a commodity item nowadays. Whatever that is stable
>> and performs can be dropped in especially if the software stack is small.
>
> The OS is the easy part to get setup. Kickstart is a wonderful thing. It is
> the software stack that invariably takes the most time. Especially when
> you consider that upgrading from one os version to the next will mean
> upgrading
> things like apache/PHP. Try going from PHP 4 to PHP 5 without changing any
> of your php code. It can be simple or hard depending on how complex your
> web
> sites are. Even more inportant try getting your customers to update their
> websites every 9-13 months. I would loose more customers than that could
> possibly be worth. I could go on and on with this type of thing. It just
> depends on our situation. If Fedora works for your servers have a good time
> but I am not in a situation where Fedora makes sense.

Ah, the wonderful perl/php dependency problem. Like I said, depends on
the requirements. There was a time when my mail servers which had no
perl/php dependency would be running the latest Fedora Core while
systems belonging to others would be running RH7.3...long after security
updates for RH7.3 were stopped.

>>> Fedora for the desktop has been vaer stable for me and it gives me
>>> the latest
>>> and greatest bells and whistles I want. The same frequent upgrade
>>> cycle exists
>>> on the desktop but I am more tolerent of upgrading my desktop machine
>>> once a
>>> year than upgrading servers. It is much easier to rebuild a desktop
>>> than a production server.
>>
>> Whether a production server is easier to rebuild than a desktop really
>> depends on how you go about doing it.
>
> The real difference for me is my desktop serves 1 user, me. I can easially
> deal with things changing and maybe not working the exact way I want
> them to,
> until I get things sorted out. That is not reasonable for my customers. If
> things change I loose sleep and money.

Like I said, it depends on how you go about doing it.