Thanks -- RE: [CentOS] kickstart fails statically built custom kernel: anacondadoesn't honor static NIC/SATA driver in kernel?

Wed Jun 13 23:16:45 UTC 2007
Robinson Tiemuqinke <hahaha_30k at yahoo.com>

--- Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk> wrote:

> Guolin Cheng wrote:
> > Mogens,
> >
> >  The Booting Sequence problem is described below:
> >
> >  Two types of NICs are installed on one machine,
> BIOS/PXE boots from one
> > type, but after that Linux/Kickstart kernel detect
> another type NIC as
> > eth0 and trying to install from that unconnected
> NIC.
>
> You don't need a custom kernel to fix this problem.
>
> If the interface from which you've PXE booted is
> named eth1, you can
> fix the installation by appending "ksdevice=eth1" to
> the append line
> in the pxelinux.cfg/default file.

 This doesn't work, I think. the 'ksdevice=eth1' or
'ksdevide=link' ways don't work well, because the
kickstart process will write MAC addresses to
ifcfg-eth* files, and that will just leave headaches
to local disk boot.

 Another problem with this method is: you have to
predict which eth? the pxe-booted NIC will be detected
as. If there are more than several types of mixed NIC
boxes, then this method becomes too cubersome and not
applicable.