[CentOS] network raid file system/server

Thu Jun 14 11:43:22 UTC 2007
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Antonio da Silva Martins Junior wrote:
> ----- "Farkas Levente" <lfarkas at bppiac.hu> escreveu:
> > we've a few 10-20 server in a lan each has 4-8 hdd. we'd like to
> > create one big file server on these server hard disks and we'd like to
> > create it in a redundant way ie:
> > - if one (or more) of the hdd or server fails the whole filesystem
> > still usable and consistent.

> Hi Farkas,
>
>   I think a start is to look on PVFS2 (www.pvfs.org).
>
>   Or maybe using nbd and softwareraid ???

Neither will eliminate servers and disks as single points of failiure.

If want one filesystem overy many disks on many servers and the ability to
fail a disk-volume (raid or whatever) or an entire server and still have a
usable fs then you need something like GPFS with replication enabled. Either
way, not a trivial config nor trivial software (GPFS for example will cost
you $$$ unless you're academic).

good luck,
 Peter