[CentOS] Firefox and Thunderbird 2.0, Centos 5, and rpms

Fri Jun 15 12:13:29 UTC 2007

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
>> Or is Redhat correct that there is nothing
>> improved here and wait for 3.0?
>>

> Sorry to jump in, but where is that you saw Red Hat saying "there is
> nothing _improved_ in FF2"?!
When I was googling for any rpms, I found a number of threads on the
subject. It COULD have been a bit of sour grapes on RH's part that
really they were too busy with EL5 to deal with someone else's project
(Firefox 2)...
> I suppose RHEL5 doesn't have FF2 because
> "it's too new", but here is what I terribly miss while using FF1.5:
> -- saving the whole session, even when FF crashes (yes, FF _may_
> crash); it saves even the text you were writing in a textarea!
> -- spell-checking (extremely useful when you're not a native speaker).

I have found this to be a frustrating 'option' Even when I shutdown FF2
cleanly, when I start it (even after rebooting the system), it trys to
resume my sessions...
> But indeed is kinda shame that there isn't any 3rd party repo
> providing FF2 for EL5. (I don't expect EPEL to have it. because FC6
> was on FF1.5 too).

Yeah, you would think it would be on ATrpms by now.
> But for Thunderbird 2.0, I agree: I can't see anything _significantly_
> improved.

ok.