[CentOS] process show uid not user

Tue Jun 19 15:49:32 UTC 2007
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

James Pearson wrote:
> Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
>
>> One of my user's processes shows up with the uid (numeric) rather than
>> the user (alpha) on the ps command.  The /etc/passwd file shows:
>>
>> theuser:x:500:501:The user:/home/theuser:/bin/bash
>>
>> But, 'ps -ef' shows the uid:
>>
>> 500       9041  8864  0 11:20 pts/1    00:00:00 ps -ef
>>
>> Allother active users show the user.  Ideas?
>

> The username is probably more than 8 characters

You can work round this by doing something like:

ps -e -o user:15,pid,ppid,c,stime,tname,time,cmd

this will give a similar output to 'ps -ef' - but with more characters
for the username - you might want to play with that number

You can also set the environment variable:

PS_FORMAT=user:15,pid,ppid,c,stime,tname,time,cmd

and then just run 'ps -e'

James Pearson