[CentOS] CentOS 5 LiveCD - When?

Wed Jun 20 08:17:14 UTC 2007
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

> As much as I like centos, when it comes to bleeding edge hardware I'd try an
> ubuntu or fedora live-cd (current is ubuntu-7.04 and fedora-7).

I use Fedora, myself. But neither of us likes churn.

Her hardware is not bleeding edge, it's four years old.
But, when we plugged a USB mouse into her machine, it
lost the keyboard. Windows recognizes both on that machine.

Reporting the error to Debian got a response which we both considered
less than satisfactory. A new HP printer was unusable. We
used the standard reporting technique to report the fact,
and didn't even get the curtesy of a response. I cobbled up
a file which at least let the printer more or less work, and
posted it to them, using the standard reporting technique,
and again didn't even get a response. She still can't use it
for scanning (SANE won't recognize it), nor can she mount
her camera flash sticks. When we reported the camera issue,
we were told that the problem was the USB dock she uses.
Others weighed in claiming that they couldn't use their
camera flash mems either, on a variety of USB docks. They
were told that they needed different hardware.

Months later, another guy posted that he had the same problem
she did with the keyboard, and was curtly told that he was full
of bull, and didn't know what he was talking about. He then
contacted me privately, and I told him that my fix was to
install a serial mouse. :-(

I don't think of camera memory docks, USB mice, and USB keyboards
as being "bleeding edge hardware."

Debian is even worse than FC for taking Linux to be a religion.
She's about to shift to Windows XP or Widows 98, and abandon
Linux altogether.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.