[CentOS] Migration help please - moving OS to a different LVM partition

Wed Jun 20 13:30:05 UTC 2007

Robert Story wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:28:44 -0400 Robert wrote:
> RM> I have set up a migration between two drives.  fIrst I got Centos 5
> RM> working how I wanted on this drive, then set about copying it to another
> RM> drive.
> RM> Still I cannot get the new drive to boot.
> RM>
> RM> If I boot with the latest kernel (which I copied to the new drive), I
> RM> get a message finding the new LVM partition, could not find the old LVM
> RM> partition then:
> RM> Mount: could no find filesystem /dev/root
> RM> fsck.ext3 Unable to resolve 'label=/boot'
>
> You need to rebuild you initrd image.. See the mkinitrd man page..
I kind of thought it would be something like that, but given that I
could not boot up, I was not sure what to do.

Last night I punted and did a clean, full, install on the new drive. Did
the yum update, copied my data directory and I a now up with basic
functions.

I have also documented some of my starting setups, and am now ready to
reboot and see if I got everything in for madwifi and sun's java jdk....

Lessons learned and all that stuff. One major thing is that an OS
migration is NOT so cut and dry...