[CentOS] How To Free memory

Wed Jun 20 15:16:55 UTC 2007
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Fung wrote:

>    Hi All,
>    My CentOS 5.0 is running on x86 machine with 4GB RAM. It runs as a webserver
>    and there is a small java applet application.
>    When the system is fresh reboot, there is below 1GB of used memory and as
>    times go , the used memory increased to over 3.5GB.
>    Is there a way to free memory out like those program which works under
>    Windows?

What do you want with free memory? Or: What do you expect to free up?
"Unused" memory in Linux (memory which isn't used by applications) is
largely used for caching and for storing kernel buffers. As soon as this
memory is needed by an application, it is freed by the kernel.

So: Unused memory is wasted memory.

Cheers,

Ralph