[CentOS] Retrive data from repartitioned / reformatted hard drive?

Fri Jun 29 07:23:54 UTC 2007
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 29/06/07, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The title says it all. One of my clients showed me a 120 GB hard drive
> that his daughter accidentally formatted, according to him. I booted the
> first CD I had at hand - a Slackware 11.0 install CD - and launched
> cdfdisk /dev/hda. cfdisk informed me that there was even no partition
> table. So much for reformatting. cfdisk only shows me 120 GB of free space.
>
> Any way to retrive data on this hard drive? Some magic live distribution
> to read data on repartitioned / reformatted hard drives? any suggestions?

If the data's still there and it's just the partition table that's
been blown away I think there are a few things that will scan a disk
looking for the markers for partition information and attempt to
reconstruct one. If that worked you theoretically can just repartition
identically and the data may magically appear.

http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?b=02006-06-09&l=113#l

Will