[CentOS] Retrive data from repartitioned / reformatted hard drive?

Fri Jun 29 15:43:54 UTC 2007
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>

Robert wrote:
> Niki Kovacs wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The title says it all. One of my clients showed me a 120 GB hard drive
>> that his daughter accidentally formatted, according to him. I booted
>> the first CD I had at hand - a Slackware 11.0 install CD - and
>> launched cdfdisk /dev/hda. cfdisk informed me that there was even no
>> partition table. So much for reformatting. cfdisk only shows me 120 GB
>> of free space.
>>
>> Any way to retrive data on this hard drive? Some magic live
>> distribution to read data on repartitioned / reformatted hard drives?
>> any suggestions?
>
> I have used testdisk with excellent results.  Read about its features,
> capabilities and limitations at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

That at least looks hopeful. Now is the time to instruct your clients
on the advisability of backups, I trow. I know, the cows are already
out of the barn.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.