[CentOS] Re: Add RAID after install in one disk

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 1 00:31:38 UTC 2007

CM spake the following on 2/28/2007 11:05 AM:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:30:08 -0800
> Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> CM spake the following on 2/28/2007 5:40 AM:
>>> to  > make the machine boot nicely even if you have to reboot with
>>> one drive >
>>> so > I  can't remember.
>>> Presuming sda first HDD, sdb second HDD, first partition (0)  is
>>> /boot
>>> grub
>>> device (hd1) /dev/sdb
>>> root (hd1,0)
>>> setup (hd1)
>>> CM
>> I'm confused. Wouldn't you want "root (hd0,0)"
>> because if the first drive fails, the second drive will become sda
>> after boot.
> You already have the grub configured on sda (original primary boot
> device) or you can't boot.
> The ideea is to configure grub on sdb - or the secondary hdd -  after
> you create the raid matrix and before anything bad happens so if the
> Fail event happens on the sda (original primary boot device)  you will
> boot for sure with the sdb (original secondary boot device)  moved in
> place of sda.
> CM
I think I am just remembering the hoops I had to jump through with IDe drives.
Having a boot line with a fallback line on the different drive just in case.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!