[CentOS] Swap Considerations

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 06:14:56 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm interested in the use of a file for swap, as I hear that there
> > is now no speed penalty for that. I use ext3 for my partitions.
>
> I'm still waiting for some commentary on use of a file for swap.

heh, it does appear that the conversation missed the boat.  Actually,
I asked RedHat (when we supposedly had their attention) years ago
about what the real swap requirements for linux where, or what were
the best practices, and what should we monitor concerning swap for
alarming purposes and never really got a good answer.  Those were back
in the RH 9 days, but at anyrate I would be interested in hearing
oppinions of how one should use swap if they were to use it.

Cheers...james