[CentOS] Help with XDMCP over SSH

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:00:54 UTC 2007

Plant, Dean wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> Perhaps your ssh tunnel isn't configured properly.  Let's see how
>>> you're setting up the tunnel.
>> Or, as an alternative you might like freenx on the server and the
>> nomachine NX windows client.  It gives better response over low
>> bandwidth or high latency connections and allows you to suspend a
>> session and reconnect later, perhaps from a different location.
> Thanks for your reply.
> I was hoping to use the software we already have installed
> (Putty&Cygwin) but if this fails I will look into your suggestion.

It should work, but NX is nicer in many situations.  If you just want to
run a few applications and don't need the whole desktop you can start
cygwin xwin in -multiwindow mode, then start the apps you want in your
putty window using & to background them and get the prompt back.  Each
app will open its own window on your desktop.  A variation on this theme
is to drag the application launchers you need from the gnome menu onto
the desktop or in a folder on the desktop and start nautilus from that
first putty window. Clicking on the launchers will start each app in its
own window.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com