[CentOS] DVD rom questions

Steve Campbell

campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Mar 1 15:56:48 UTC 2007

I'm running CentOS 3 and have just installed a Liteon lightscribe DVD/CD
unit. I firstly realized I didn't know exactly how to mount it, as /dev/dvd
didn't exist, I didn't want to generate anything if it already existed, and
I didn't want to mess up my cdrom unit that works just fine.

I mounted the device though the X window just to see how it might mount, and
find that it mounts /dev/cdrom1 on /mnt/cdrom1, regardless of what type
media is in the drive. Does this sound proper? Should I mknod(?) something
for the /dev/dvd device and if so, what should be the parms?

I then tried to find a movie viewer on the machine, and only found mplayer.
I couldn't get it to work properly due to the configuration options (not a
very powerful machine). What does anyone use for a DVD viewer?

And lastly, what are recommendations for implementing the lightscribe
functions that exist on the drive?

Any help is very graciously appreciated.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers