[CentOS] Virtualisation

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Thu Mar 1 19:04:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:11:26PM -0500, Stephen Harris wrote:

> I'm wondering what people recommend for virtual servers these days?
> CentOS 4 with a vserver kernel?  Wait for CentOS 5 and use Xen?  VMware?
> (Vmware is the heavy solution, but it does mean I could host a windows
> session if I wanted to).  Or Solaris 10 and zones?

Personally I'm using VMWare-workstation, but it isn't an ideal solution:
- it costs
- it is hard to make VMs start at system boot
- it is a heavyweight solution

The reason I am using -Workstatin as opposed to the free -Server
offering is because -Server does not provide some virtual hardware
that is useful in a workstation environment.

I find it odd what drives your requirements in the end.  In my
particular case, I am connecting to a Windows VM through a Sun Ray
session, and found my Windows VMs were less usefull without the sound
devices because Windows Movie Maker would not start on a system which
lacked a sound card.  (And I wanted Windows Movie Maker to convert
video streams from the high-bitrate that comes from the camera down
to something a little more portable, not to actually view anything.)

I am probably going to split things up, though -- I have an older
system which I will move the Windows VMs to, and then run -Server on
my main system so I can do the other virtualization things I want to
(mostly experimenting with other OSs and sandboxing software
packages I am playing with) much easier.

I have a 900-series Intel Core Duo processor, purchased expressly so
that I could do Xen and the like but have found that they are not
quite ready for the kind of use I want to put them to.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |