[CentOS] Making VNC run on port 8080 on Centos 3.4

ankush grover ankushcentos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 05:25:30 UTC 2007

> > ps -efm | grep Xvnc
> > root     24091 23267  0 06:12 pts/0    00:00:00 grep Xvnc
> >
> > I am not able to understand why it is giving error as I followed what
> > was mentioned in the below url
> >
> > http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/10/configure-vnc-server-in-fedora/
>
> Something's already listening on port 8080 at a guess. Have you got
> Tomcat installed?
>
> [root at stella .vnc]# service vncserver start
> Starting VNC server: 2180:wmcdonald A VNC server is already running as :2180
>                                                            [FAILED]
> [root at stella .vnc]# netstat -lnp | grep 8080
> tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*
>      LISTEN      3349/java
> [root at stella .vnc]#

Tomcat was running on port 8080. One of my colleague was trying to
setup tomcat at the same time i was trying to setup vnc.

Now the problem I am facing is that I am getting Xserver through VNC.
What I am getting is just the grey color window with no xserver
running.
I have not installed any gnome or kde packages what I require is the
Xserver to be displayed through vnc.

I have put the below lines in the xstartup file of the user

xsetroot -solid grey

xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &
~

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover