[CentOS] Virtualisation

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 2 14:13:52 UTC 2007

Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 01:31:34PM -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>>> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Harris
>>> I acknowledge I have farmed out my risk to an "untrusted third party",
>>> but that's part of risk management; my evaluation is that
>> Risk management? Is this a home network or a business network?
> It's my home network.  I have documents on my machines that are private
> and personal.  I don't want hackers on my machines.  Therefore I have a
> risk that needs to be managed.  Just because I use professional jargon
> doesn't mean it isn't relevant.
>> Well then, sounds like your mind is made up already, why ask?
> I asked what virtualisation technology people recommended; I didn't even
> _mention_ Fedora in my original list because I knew it wasn't suitable.
> Someone asked me "why not a bare-bones FC6 Xen box" and I answered
> why not.

So long as Xen works as promised, it shouldn't matter too much what the
host is, it just doesn't have any network connexion terminating at itself.

I'd not rule out FC{6,7} for the host, I'd just not run it as a guest
except for testing.

However, if you want a slimmed down host, look at Debian. You should be
able to get a host in under 512 Mbytes of disk. It will also have
updates into the forseeable future. There's a package, xen-tools, of
scripts to help building new guests, and it even supports rpmstrap to
build CentOS.

I've not tried hosting CentOS 4 yet (my test hardware lacks
virtualisation), I'm having enough trouble^H^H^H^H^H^Hfun with Debian
under Debian. And assorted unrelated matters.

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu

Please do not reply off-list