[CentOS] Lame question about cp

Ryan Simpkins centos at ryansimpkins.com
Sun Mar 4 17:36:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, March 4, 2007 04:17, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have seen a lot of sensible advice, but you reported none worked, which
>> is odd.
> Nothing worked :(
>
> Only removing the alias, which is a thing i don't want to do.

Hello,

I'm new to the list and this thread. I apologize if this has been mentioned before.
If you are using bash you can temorarily 'unalias' a command by sticking a \ in
front of the command:

\cp
\ssh
\rm
\mv

It can be a big time saver. Another thing you can do is create a new alias that has
saftey features off:

alias cpf="/bin/cp -f";

As far as I am aware if you do a cp -p then adding a -f isn't going to work. That is
essentially what is happening. If cp sees the -p flag, it is going to prompt as a
matter of saftey. I think several other util commands do the same thing.

Good luck,
-Ryan Simpkins

-Ryan