[CentOS] Re: FritzCard PCI will not work

Felix Schwarz Felix.Schwarz at web.de
Wed Mar 7 21:52:39 UTC 2007

Frank Büttner schrieb:
> Hello, I will use CentOS 4.4 and Hylafax to build an fax server.
> But when call /sbin/capiinit I only get the error: ERROR: cannot load
> module kernelcapi
> I have build and install the kernel module for my friz card.

You mean the proprietary kernel module from AVM which is only distributed as
binary module?

I had problems with it when using it with CentOS 4.2 I think. Finally, I
compiled my own kernel from kernel.org and that worked fine. AFAIK this was a
bug in the binary module (<irony>who would expect a bug in closed source
software - never seen that before!</irony>) which was fixed (AFAIK!) some months
later. However, I stopped using the binary driver as it did not work as stable
as I liked. So I can't (am not willing to) help you with this closed source
software.

A last hint: To get a more helpful error message, try inserting the kernel
module with insmod.

fs