[CentOS] using true UTC timezone everywhere

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Thu Mar 8 20:50:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 03:37:52PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> Considering that web servers apparently work fine in Greenwich, I don't
> think there's any real problems. I've thought about doing the same thing for
> similar reasons.

My first job was in a shipping company and we had offices around the
world, and also Unix machines onboard the ships (fun!).  We set every
machine to UTC (which confused the London people when they didn't go to
summer time; "the clock is an hour slow".  Other timezones didn't care;
they were used to the clock being wrong).

The one gotcha is to move any cron jobs to idle times.  Midnight GMT
might be peak activity on your webserver so you don't want overnight
jobs to kick off then!

--

rgds
Stephen