[CentOS] Error on starting apache server

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:25:48 UTC 2007

On 09/03/07, Joshua Gimer <jgimer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not going to fight about Admin Practices with everyone. If you take
> what you recieve from any list as gold you aparently cannot think for
> yourself anyway.

I think this has been gone over a couple of times. The problem is that
the OP asked for help with a problem (actually, a number of related
problem, all in separate posts) of his own doing without further
justification.

I'm sure you, and I, and plenty of others are capable of rolling our
own bits outwith the core distro where necessary but the problem is
how to advise people who don't?

Best Practice for an RPM based system is to stick with the packages.
You should only ever stray outside those boundaries if you're
experienced and know what you're doing. If you DO stray and know what
you're doing then you should be able to formulate a post to a mailing
list which states:

a) I have a system running BlarghOS 12.z
b) I need functionality from BlipApp 6 not included with BlarghOS 12.z
c) I'm compiling BlipApp 6  from these sources from
http://blip.org/blip-6.0.0.tgz with support for additional libraries
X, X and Z. etc. etc.
d) And the resultant error is [error message here]

When someone relatively inexperienced, or who provides scant detail,
as the OP did, posts such vague questions it make sense to point them
toward the Way Things Are Done, if they provide no information as to
why they're veering from that path.

The core problem is that people who've read and understood ESR's "How
To Ask Questions The Smart Way" generally ask different questions
which don't prompt tail chasing.

Will.