[CentOS] Adduser help

Joshua Gimer jgimer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:48:42 UTC 2007

I believe that if you do not provide the -m switch it will not create a user
home dir. They will be placed in a group that is the same as their username.
If you are creating a service account then you should probably give the user
a null shell using -s /sbin/nologin. And if you do not specify a password
the account is disabled. This give's you:

useradd -s /sbin/nologin openpbx

That should do it!

On 3/9/07, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> at
> http://wiki.openpbx.org/tiki-index.php?page=Easy+route+to+building+OpenPBX.org
> there is the following adduser command:
> adduser --no-create-home --ingroup openpbx --disabled-password
> --disabled-login openpbx
> This does NOT seem to be the right format for Centos.  So far, using
> man, I have come up with;
> adduser -M -g openpbx
> What else do I need?

Joshua Gimer