[CentOS] Performance problem with CentOS and XFS on EMC

Mark Hull-Richter mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Sat Mar 10 00:26:00 UTC 2007

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
> Behalf Of Jim Perrin
> Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 2:55 PM
> To: CentOS mailing list
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Performance problem with CentOS and XFS on EMC
>
> Please don't top post.

Okay.  Personally I prefer to get the meat at the top, but I supposed
context could be relevant once in a while....

> Okay... so you're using 2 different filesystems known to be
> unsupported in the upstream OS, and you're wondering why you're
> getting bad performance?

No, I'm wondering why I'm getting such a disparity in performance
between direct i/o and cached i/o using two different files systems
(same issue on both file systems, different issue than 'why is this file
system not performing well/better?').

> You appear to be using a hammer to pound screws. You may really want
> to take a moment to sit back and question the sanity involved in what
> you're doing.

Ever heard of drywall screws?  :-)

> One other nit-pick as I'm a little frustrated at this point. PLEASE
> PROVIDE ALL RELEVANT DATA to those trying to assist you. If you've
> used other elevators, STATE THAT so that we don't waste our effort
> telling you something you've already tried.

Apologies - one detail that I overlooked until you reminded me.  I'm
still relatively new to this project, RHEL/CentOS and so on.  I may have
mentioned this once or twice before....