[CentOS] rsh with passwords

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sat Mar 10 01:27:15 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
>> The problem is, I can either set rsh to allow transfers without a
>> password, or it won't let me transfer files at all.
> I've used rsync with the ssh 'blowfish' option on slow processors (older
> sparcs, slower pentiums) with good success.

Tried that, not good enough.
Too bad ssh doesn't have a plain-text "encryption" option. :-)

I've found a document saying that the rsh protocol is designed so that
the only "authentication" method is .rhosts
It cannot authenticate with a password, by design.

Back to the drawing board. :-/

Florin Andrei