[CentOS] CentOS & SATA

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 15:46:51 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, Charles Sliger <chaz at bctonline.com> wrote:

>  Does CentOS 4 work well with SATA drives?
>
> Or should I build the system using IDE/PATA disks?
>
> I'm looking for stability more than speed.

There is a chance your hardware is made of some obscure matter so that
CentOS 4 kernel doesn't like it, but usually SATA and SATA2 are recognized
automatically in the installation. Some hardware are not recognized
automatically, so that you must use a floppy disk driver in CentOS
installation (correct me if I'm wrong), but I have only heard about that
(never happened to me). Some hardware are just not compatible with CentOS. I
guess most are compatible.

Mine is SATA2 on chipset from ICH7 family (motherboard Intel 945GNT), and
CentOS installation chose the driver/module ata_piix for it. Just worked out
of the box.