[CentOS] Adduser help

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 10 21:53:06 UTC 2007

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2007, at 14:39, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> at http://wiki.openpbx.org/tiki-index.php?page=Easy+route+to
>> +building+OpenPBX.org
>>
>> there is the following adduser command:
>>
>> adduser --no-create-home --ingroup openpbx --disabled-password --
>> disabled-login openpbx
>>
>> This does NOT seem to be the right format for Centos.  So far,  using
>> man, I have come up with;
>>

>> adduser -M -g openpbx
>>
>> What else do I need?
>

> I think that --disabled-password is the default if you don't specify  a
> password, and to disable logins you can use "-s /sbin/nologin" to  set
> the account's shell.

As Robert has noticed, there si more then one implementation of the
adduser (and useradd) command.

I suggest "passwd -l openpbx" so as to be more confident.

If Robert wants to su to the account, he probably wants a standard
shell, not nologin.
If he doesn't want to tell anyone what happened if they chance to get a
login to openpbx, then /bin/true is a fine shell. nologin prints a
message, true just exits.

--

Cheers
John