[CentOS] A working SIP Phone for Centos44?

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro leopinheiro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 01:47:48 UTC 2007

On 3/10/07, Theo Band <theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com> wrote:

> I try to find a softphone that works with Asterisk and Centos44, does
> anyone has a good suggestion or is it better to buy a hardphone?

AFAIK, microphone bad quality is more related to the hardware, not the
software. My onboard "Intel high definition" sound chipset (ICH7 compatible
- Intel 945GNT) has a bad output sound, but a much worse input (microphone).
I have tried using Windows XP, CentOS, Ubuntu, many softphones (Skype,
X-Lite, Ekiga, Twinkle) and definitely the problem is hardware (or all
drivers are broken).

The solution was to buy a PCI sound card from a friend (Ensoniq 5880
AudioPCI). Its output quality is not that good - but better than "Intel high
definition" - and its input quality is of a very good usability. Although it
worked very nicely on Ubuntu 6.10, the microphone is not working on CentOS
yet (actually it work once, but I wasn't able to reproduce yet, maybe I was
using Centosplus kernel, don't remember now), but I'm gonna invest some time
on that as soon as I can.

I have used Twinkle on Ubuntu 6.10. Between many free softphones, it was for
sure the best. I have not used it with a personal Asterisk, but I have used
it with a real VoIP company (www.vono.net.br), which *may* be using
Asterisk. It had some bugs, needed to be restarted from time to time,
although it was far from the last version. I would really recommend this
software, if it was available as rpm to CentOS.

At last, I can say Skype works on CentOS, though this is not what you want.