[CentOS] A working SIP Phone for Centos44?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Mar 11 15:07:58 UTC 2007

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro wrote:

> On 3/10/07, *Theo Band* <theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com
> <mailto:theo.band at xanadu-wireless.com>> wrote:
>
>     I try to find a softphone that works with Asterisk and Centos44, does
>     anyone has a good suggestion or is it better to buy a hardphone?
>

> AFAIK, microphone bad quality is more related to the hardware, not the
> software. My onboard "Intel high definition" sound chipset (ICH7
> compatible - Intel 945GNT) has a bad output sound, but a much worse
> input (microphone). I have tried using Windows XP, CentOS, Ubuntu,
> many softphones (Skype, X-Lite, Ekiga, Twinkle) and definitely the
> problem is hardware (or all drivers are broken).

the output quality of the Intel branded motherboards I've used has been
quite good.   Microphone inputs somewhat less so, but still plenty good
enough for telephony IF your microphone has high enough gain.     If
someone  is recording high fidelity (music, etc) from microphones, I
recommend they get an external microphone preamp and use the line input
on their sound card, or even better a USB input/output box.

for voice/telephony, USB headsets are the way to go.