[CentOS] cat cron jobs crontab: SOLVED

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at klxsystems.net
Tue Mar 13 19:25:35 UTC 2007

so to script the thing it's actually done like this, doh:

-------------snip------------
#show crontab, on a new system should be empty:
crontab -l

#put in whatever cron checks you need, one by one...
echo "*/3 * * * *  /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_megaraid_passive.sh >
/dev/null 2>&1" >> /var/spool/cron/root

# restart crond afterward
service crond restart

# show you results, new stuff should be there.
crontab -l
------------------snip---------------

dunno why I was trying to do this elaborate EOF thing.

-krb

Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:

> thanks, I'm running a script after kickstart install, and am looking
> to "cat" a known value into an empty cron file.  Managing it or
> otherwise having to manually edit it is not the issue i'm seeking info
> on.
>
> I'm trying to avoid having to manually add all of my known cron jobs
> with crontab -e
>
> To do this, I was trying out some stuff like:
>
> *cat >> $out_file << EOF
> first line of data
> second line of data
> more data
> the end of the data
> EOF*
>
> but in a way that was safe for cron, with no modifications to the
> default manner in which cron runs, e.g. crontab -l, crontab -e later
> would not break seeking some new file.
>
> -karlski
>

> Matt Hyclak wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:32:55AM -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert)
>> enlightened us:
>>

>>> The most common way I have seen ov updating crontab is the
>>> crontab command.
>>>
>>> 1.  login or su to the appropriate user
>>> 2.  crontab -l  > /tmp/crontab.txt
>>> 3.  edit /tmp/crontab.txt to your liking