[CentOS] New System Build

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 14 01:33:41 UTC 2007

Charles Sliger wrote:
> Here is what I've ordered for the new system:
>

> Case:  Antec TX1050B, Mid-Tower Server Case
>
> MoBo: Intel D945GCL
>
> CPU:   Intel Pentium-4 631
>
> RAM:   Aeneon 512 Mb 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM - DDR2 667
>
> Disk:   Hitachi 80 Gb SATA 3G
>
> Carrier: Vantec MRK-200ST-BK
>
> DVD:   got one on the shelf I'm going to try
>
> Floppy: Sony MPF920-Z-121
>

> My intention is to load CentOS-4 complete and use the system as a
> development/backup box.
>
> Any sanity checking would be most appreciated.  :-)

Personally, I'm not a great fan of Intel's mobos: the idea one would
never need more than 512 Mbytes of RAM for a Pentium III never seemed
right, and I regularly have problems with the intel Graphics: RHEL5 beta
was nogo on a Dell GC270 (three years or so old) for that reason. It
could be made to work, but it required fiddling, and was completely
broken for FC6.

I generally prefer Asus motherboards, I quite like Via chips and SIS
works well too (but it is low-spec).

If you have any thoughts of Xen, you should look for a mobo capable of
at least 4 Gbytes: you don't have to populate it all now, but you will
need room to grow. Also, check that virtualisation is supported. You
would need it for Windows or other fully-native operating systems, and
it wouldn't surprise me at all if some geek decides it's a wonderful way
to improve process separation.

--

Cheers
John