[CentOS] New System Build

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Wed Mar 14 12:50:35 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>>
>>> I generally prefer Asus motherboards, I quite like Via chips and SIS
>>> works well too (but it is low-spec).
>>

>> I will give Asus second thoughts because their BIOS sucks, I will never
>
> Specifically, what's wrong with the BIOS?

APIC tables or ACPI issues. I have seen many reports of needing kernel
parameters to get stability on various Asus boards that are apic or acpi
related besides having first hand experience with one particular board.

>> ever touch a VIA board again (I have a socket A VIA board for my home
>
> One bad VIA experience?

FYI, the linux kernel developers have code specifically just for 'Via
Quirks' which are reverse-engineered from what I see on LKML. If you
like to trust VIA's mucking about with the PCI bus or what not to get
some 'short cuts' without releasing data about this behaviour then be my
guest.