[CentOS] Re: centos beta 5 right click on desktop [OT]

Jeremy Sanders jss at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 14 09:23:22 UTC 2007

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 at 7:04pm, Bart Schaefer wrote
>
>> I realize this is moving off-topic for the CentOS list, but:  What (if
>> any) is the rationale for the desktop menu NOT being
>> user-configurable?  Why shouldn't I be able to put anything in there I
>> like?
>
> Talk to the gnome folks...

Battling with some of those folks suggests that they remove any feature
which has the tinyest possibility of confusing the least knowledgable.
Goodness knows why you can't have "advanced" configuration dialogs to
change some of their braindead defaults (if there is an option, it's
usually hidden in that gconf disaster, but usually they hard code in the
crap).

I gave up several years ago with gnome (also see the discussion between
gnome and linus), and have been pretty happy with kde since. I still have
to face that shockingly bad gtk/gnome file dialog box when using firefox
though :-(

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss at ast.cam.ac.uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.