[CentOS] What's the best way to convert a whole set of file systems?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 19:13:08 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com> wrote:
> 1)       Is there a good way to do whole fs conversions, specifically from
> NTFS to reiserfs or ext3?

Not while maintaining data.

> 2)       Do I even need to do this (i.e., do any of the CentOS/Linux kernels
> support read AND write to NTFS)?

No, and NTFS writes are not something I'd consider a good idea.

> 3)       Is there, by any chance, and in-place converter from NTFS to any
> Linux fs, preferably reiserfs or ext3?

Nope.

> Also, the last time I installed CentOS on a system (I've done about six or
> seven so far) I don't remember seeing reiserfs as one of the supported fs's
> for configuring during the installation process – am I blind or is this
> really the case?  I like reiserfs primarily because it is really good with
> many small files, and I have tons of them – around 100k files under 10k.

Reiserfs isn't supported in RHEL or centos (except in centosplus). I'd
also suspect it's being reconsidered in the kernel proper also, given
the legal issues and current imprisonment of the reiserfs maintainer.

George Orwell