[CentOS] Re: centos beta 5 right click on desktop [OT]

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Thu Mar 15 15:55:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 11:30 am, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

> I used KDE briefly on my SuSE Linux at home, but it kept the CPU so
> busy that everything ran slower than <you know what>.  I'm not seeing
> that problem with gnome, here at work (CentOS 4.4+) or at home (still
> SuSE until I put in the new Mobo/Mem/Video).  Has that changed, or is
> KDE still a CPU/GPU hog?

Note that I don't use CentOS on my desktop; I use Mandriva 2005 (I know
it's old; eventually I'll move to something else, perhaps CentOS5).

I keep ten different screens open, and usually five or six copies of
Mozilla, and KMail with one main window and five or so individual
emails windows.

I occasionally see a spike, and when I run the desktop without rebooting
over two months or so, I sometimes even lock up and have to leave the
computer for a few hours if I want it to catch up with itself and start
running again without a restart.

But generally KDE runs very well for me:

top - 08:55:15 up 33 days, 19:29,  1 user,  load average: 0.30, 0.27,
Tasks: 164 total,   1 running, 163 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 12.5% us,  4.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 83.1% id,  0.2% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si
Mem:   1018328k total,   998416k used,    19912k free,    24660k buffers
Swap:  1044152k total,   341648k used,   702504k free,   219348k cached

Note this is the KDE that came with Mandriva 2005 LE.

Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517
voice:  +1 951 643-7540, or see: