[CentOS] Changing from NTFS to ext3

Mark Hull-Richter

mhull-richter at datallegro.com
Fri Mar 16 18:41:01 UTC 2007

I want to convert all my NTFS partitions to ext3 since I'm no longer
running Windows, at least on my main machine at home.  I'm planning to
tar the NTFS partitions to an existing ext3, reformat the partition as
ext3 and untar it back.

What is the best way to accomplish step two of this - reformatting the
partition?  I've only done this so far during the installation phase,
and that was for partitions I knew I could destroy with impunity.  I'm
guessing I unmount the drive, <do something magic here> and remount it.
It's the magic part I don't know.

Thanks.

Mark Hull-Richter         Linux Kernel Engineer
(949) 680-3082 - Office     (949) 680-3001 - Fax     (949) 632-8403 -
Mobile
mhull-richter at datallegro.com <mailto:mhull-richter at datallegro.com>
www.datallegro.com <http://www.datallegro.com>
85 Enterprise, Second Floor, Aliso Viejo, CA  92656