[CentOS] prefdm still unfinished?

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Mar 16 22:51:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 11:21:02PM +0100, Rody wrote:

> > > I believe that in bash and sh placing . (dot) followed by a space and

> If tried (tested) that but if you have DESKTOP="KDE" in /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> and the original prefdm, than the loginscreen will be gdm and not kdm.

You have to do it exactly correct.  "./xxx" won't work; "/xxx" won't work,
it has to be exactly " . /xxx"

> I wouldn't be surprised if the feature you mention existed, but it doesn't
> work like that on the redhat-pc's i've seen...

It's existed on Unix for many decades.

Here's an example from a 4.4 system showing how it works.

  bash-3.00$ cat x
  VAR=changed
  bash-3.00$ echo $VAR

  bash-3.00$ VAR=original
  bash-3.00$ echo $VAR
  original
  bash-3.00$ . x
  bash-3.00$ echo $VAR
  changed
  bash-3.00$ cat /etc/redhat-release
  CentOS release 4.4 (Final)
  bash-3.00$

So basically in the original, /etc/sysconfig/desktop consists of a line like
  DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
and the system works as expected.

--

rgds