[CentOS] Via Eden

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Sun Mar 18 15:31:31 UTC 2007

I've been thinking of using one of these for a home theater head unit.

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/696

Was planning to configure it with the following:

Dual 4gig compact flash cards w/IDE adapters (about $50/each)
Re-use old 3Ware dual port IDE card to make this a bootable RAID0 array
(for speed)
Cheap 2.5" 20gig drive for swap and /var partitions
Some sort of remote control (haven't sorted this yet)

The system has hardware mpeg 2/4 acceleration and DVI/Component video
outputs and SPDIF out for audio.  It will grab the actual content off a
2TB array that's hiding in another room via ethernet.  On the software
front, I'm looking at Freevo + Centos.  I'm hoping to get it all
together for about US$700 in some sort of non-eyesore enclosure for my
AV rack.

Cheers,