[CentOS] CentOS 5 Beta on a MacBook Pro

Sun Mar 18 23:37:43 UTC 2007

Good question.  Here is what I have done so far:

I ran the beta installer on a 1.83 GHz Core Duo model.  The system
booted and the installer ran.  I did an install with "linux
askmethod" from an NFS share with the CentOS 5 isos.  I did a default
workstation install.  The installer ran flawlessly.  The graphics
displayed correctly and the trackpad worked perfectly.  The installer
ran.  When I rebooted after the install, the system said "Missing
operating system" and stopped.  I was able to boot disc 1 in rescue
mode and mount the new installation in mnt.

I suspect there is some problem with the boot partition.  I am trying
to install 4.4 now, just for fun.  During the install, the installer
complained that the drive had a "gbt" partition and would have to be
reformatted for CentOS to be installed.  I take this as a good sign.
If the 4.4 install works, I'll try the 5.0 beta again.

I will report back.

-Joe