[CentOS] Need help in securing maildir so that root user should not able to read anyother user's mail

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Mar 19 01:18:55 UTC 2007

Robert wrote:
> Isn't all this just a little bit like expecting the doctor to address
> one's hemorrhoids without dropping one's skivvies?
> "Lord, deliver me from idiots in high places. Amen".

Yea, but I don't think the managers really asked for root not being able
to read mail. They maybe wanted to make sure root could not read mails
through imap/pop. Or maybe something else...

Maybe some Exchange brochure contains some blurb that says "Only allow
users to read mails"... what do I know.

But even if you can take steps to block out root, he is God on the
system any way you turn it.

Limit what you can, do what is sensible, and create an audit trail.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.