[CentOS] HP DL585 G2 -- no nics

David Mackintosh

David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Tue Mar 20 01:56:06 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I've just spent about six hours messing around with an HP DL585 G2
server trying to get CentOS to go.

This box is a dual-CPU with dual cores and 10GB of RAM total.
According to the datasheet, the POST screens, and the BIOS, it has
the Broadcom embedded NICs in it.

The problem boils down to the installed OS (4.4 x86_64) not seeing
the NICs.  If you do an lspci on the system after installing from
local media the only unknown device is one of the built-in hardware
health monitors.  And since the NICs don't show up in the pci table,
there's nothing for the drivers I downloaded from the HP website to
hook to.

What's interesting is that in the process of trying to get this thing
going I've installed two old (2002 vintage) 3Com 905cxl PCI cards in
the system -- again, the BIOS (or whatever the built in hardware
diagnostics program is called) sees them, but the running OS does not.

This implies I've done or missed something trivially stupid, and
after banging my head against this box and the monumentally unhelpful
HP "documentation" I was wondering if someone had been down this road
before.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

--