[CentOS] HP DL585 G2 -- no nics

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Mar 20 06:00:28 UTC 2007

John Hinton wrote:

> Have you run the HP/Compaq SmartStart CD? It lets you configure system
> BIOSs. If this was a used machine, it is possible that the previous
> owner may have disabled the onboard nics.. perhaps to run some other
> hardware in its place.
>
> The CDs are available at hp.com. Try to pick one that is dated about
> the same as the machine you are working with, or you might waste a lot
> of download time to find the version is too new.

fyi, the DL585 G2 is quite new.

I have two DL585 running quad opteron 850 (single core 2.4Ghz), one is
running RHEL3, the other RHEL4, both x86_64, I don't recall havinng to
install any special drivers or anything.

However, the G2 is the 2nd generation of this 4-socket server, and
likely has newer NICs.   HP should have RHEL4 drivers which should work
just fine with CentOS4 kernels..  I find HPs support of Linux is much
better than that other major vendor of x86 hardware with the 4 letter name.

on my DL585 (non-G2) boxes, `lspci` lists...

02:06.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
02:06.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)