[CentOS] Re: automated install over network

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 20 16:22:14 UTC 2007

Barry Brimer spake the following on 3/19/2007 9:04 PM:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Dave wrote:
>> Hello,
>>   I've got a machine i'd like to put CentOS 4.4 on. Unfortunately this
>> machine doesn't have a rom in it, just a floppy and a network card. I
>> was wondering if i could boot it, then have it pick up what it needs
>> to start the install off the network and do an unattended install vi
>> nfs? Or, if that's not possible would it be possible to boot and load
>> CentOS completely from the network bypassing the hard disk altogether?
>> I don't need x on this box, in fact it doesn't have a monitor, most of
>> the work it will do will be via ssh, or unattended stuff.
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
> I believe CentOS 3 was the last version of CentOS that included a boot
> floppy.  IIRC, the issue is that the newer kernels (with other required
> components) are too large to fit on a floppy.
You can make a bootable usb key to install from if you can get the system to
boot from usb.You can set up a PXE boot to get the system going, but it will
be a bit of work just to to a one off install. Easier to just hang a cdrom in
the unit temporarily to install, or use the above mentioned usb key.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!